Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Happy herbs



It seems I'm a late bloomer - excuse the pun, but it feels like the gardening bug that bit foodies ages ago only got around to me recently. It was all thanks to this photo - and yes that is me in the picture... Oh, you didn't think being a food stylist only involved food did you?! Nope we are chefs, mall trawlers, shopaholics, crafters, DIYers, clean-er up-ers and sometimes models... amongst other things.

Anyway, back to my point, after we shot this picture for our March issue of the Top Billing magazine I felt sorry for these cute little herbs. I'd so lovingly hollowed out eggs so they could each have their own home and then tucked them into the moist soil, I couldn't just abandon them. So I took them home and carefully planted them into the soil... and then forgot about them because anybody that knows me will tell you that I cannot keep any form of flora alive. Not even a bouquet of flowers lasts more than 2 days in my possession.
But these herbs grew! Yay! And tonight I'm going to make a refreshing Salsa Verde: 

2/3 cups parsley ( I also add chives, basil, sage and oregano to mine), chopped
2 1/2 T capers, drained and chopped
6 anchovies, chopped
5 t extra virgin olive oil
1 T lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste

Mix all the ingredients together and keep it in the fridge. Add to pastas, salad dressings and grilled fish or meat.

Yes, I think my herbs will be much happier chopped up and stored in a jar - that way they can't die on me!






No comments:

Post a Comment